Recipe Makes 10
Olive oil or butter for greasing
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 tablespoon flax seed meal
¾ cup dry unsweetened coconut, plus 2 tablespoons for topping
2/3 cup granulated sugar
9 cardamom pods
¾ cup milk
1/3 cup Santa Fe Olive Oil & Balsamic Company’s Olive Oil
1 fresh ripe mango, chopped
1) Preheat the oven to 375 F. Lightly grease a muffin pan or place 10 muffin cups in a muffin pan.
2) Sift together the flour and baking powder into a large bowl. Mix in the flaxseed meal, coconut, and sugar.
3) Crush the cardamom pods and remove the seeds finely in a mortar and pestle or with a rolling pin and stir into the mixture.
4) Whisk together the milk and oil in a small bowl and stir into the mixture, adding the mango at the same time. Mix until just combined; do not over mix.
5) Divide the batter among the 10 cups of the prepared muffin pan and sprinkle the top of each muffin with a little of the extra coconut. Bake in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean. Let cool for 5 minutes before removing from the pan. Serve or store in a cool place or refrigerator for 2-3 days.